Vote By Mail is open to all registered voters in New Jersey
Only registered voters who have previously applied for Vote By Mail for “all future elections” will receive a mail-in ballot. In order to get a mail-in ballot, you must apply for Vote By Mail.
Mail-in ballots have started to arrive in the mail to VBM voters (beginning September 24, 2022).
What is Vote By Mail?
Vote By Mail FACTS:
- “Vote By Mail” can be done in several ways:
- Mail it
- Deposit it
- Deliver it.
- Vote By Mail or “VBM” is simply voting early using a hand-marked paper ballot.
- Vote By Mail was previously referred to as “Absentee Voting”.
- No excuses are required to Vote By Mail.
Voters who opt to vote by mail, “VBM voters”, receive their paper ballots in their mailboxes starting 45 days prior to Election Day and can cast their ballots as soon as they are received.
- Can you vote at the poll if you use Vote By Mail?
- Yes! VBM voters can change their minds and not use their paper ballot(s) to vote. Instead, they can show up on Election Day and vote in person using a paper ballot provided to them called a “Provisional Ballot”.
- This security process ensures that voters do not vote more than once in any election.